Cory's Story: A Book Review About Canine Epilepsy & Our #LiveGibStrong Epi-Tip #29


My boy Gibson reading about fellow Epi-dog, Cory.
I learned about Cory's Story while writing my own book, EPIc Dog Tales: Heartfelt Stories About Dogs Living & Loving Life With Canine Epilepsy. I knew I wanted to read it. Right out of the gate, from the first word, I was hooked. The reader is willingly drawn into the DeMers family and Cory’s World. I laughed and cried and trembled with fear, and laughed again through all the experiences Sandra DeMers shares in such an easy, well-written manner, that I never left my spot in my chair until I turned over the very last page. As an Epi-dog parent, Sandra’s tale of Cory’s experiences I could feel first hand. Cory as a pup had me laughing (without giving it away, you’ll see when you read about Cory and the potato chip bag!) I mean, is there anything more lighthearted than puppy hijinks?!



The presentation of the book is also very nice. It’s small in size and very easy to pop into a purse or backpack to take along to read. I love the hard cover, too. Inside, Sandra includes black and white photos of Cory from puppyhood to adulthood, including ones from vacation, playing with her son, and just all around cute shots where you find yourself just wanting to meet and play with this wonderful Yellow Labrador Retriever!



The book is also a testimony to Marion Mitchell who, in 1996, was initially one of the first people to join the original Canine Epilepsy Resources Epil-K9 list, then took it over and soon after became busy with the Canine Epilepsy Resources, where she is the co-owner and site manager (www.canine-epilepsy.com). Marion's late Dalmatian “Emma” was the original face of Canine Epilepsy and the namesake for the Epil-K9 Foundation “Emma’s Seizure Fund” through the North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Sandra credits Marion and Emma with opening the door to information on Canine Epilepsy, including good nutrition for Epi-dogs that Sandra followed with great success for Cory. To see just how successful, well, I’ll let you read the book to find out! It also brings full circle the reason why I keep on supporting the Canine Epilepsy Resources with our #LiveGibStrong K-9 Epilepsy Awareness campaign. It is such a valuable resource with a large library of information and resources for the Epi-dog parent, and a very supportive and informative network on the Epil-K9 list, as well as the relationship with the North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine's Neurology department.


I feel this story encompasses the whole message of how dogs can - and do - live happy lives even with a seizure disorder. Writes Sandra, “Dogs have a wonderful blessing of living in the present moment and enjoying  what it is. They don’t fret about what happened a few moments ago, nor do they worry about what might be tomorrow.” Such true words. Now, if only us Epi-parents and Epi-guardians could do that! So many times we are still a wreck long after a seizure or side effect occurs, and our dogs are already back to living life. It’s good to be a dog!

“Dogs have a wonderful blessing of living in the present moment and enjoying  what it is. They don’t fret about what happened a few moments ago, nor do they worry about what might be tomorrow.” ~Sandra DeMers


What is really neat about this book is that it not only is it a true-life story, and it covers an important and serious topic like Canine Epilepsy, but really is a great read. Not only does Sandra welcome you right into her family and life from page one, but you learn right along with her about seizures, the emotional rollercoaster ride it can be, and what research Epi-parents will review and learn in order to find the best possible treatments - both traditional and alternative - for their dogs. Tears will stream down your cheeks when they stream down Sandra's. You will laugh at her puppy stories, and your heart will swell with love at the dedication, love, and care she gives to her furbaby.



There’s another quote in the book that I found to be so relatable, I was actually talking out loud to the invisible Sandra in my living room when she wrote, “I found…that I had actually established an incredibly strong psychic bond with Cory; I could see that he understood how much I wanted to help him.” Amen! Yes! I feel the exact same way about my connection with Gibson each time he has had a setback with his weak hind end issues due to the Epi medications. I feel such a deep bond, this understanding that goes way beyond words. Actually, words are not even necessary. There really does exist a very special bond between hu-parent and Epi-dog.



My favorite chapter has to be “The Elk and the The Coyotes.” The
"So good I can't put it down!"
only thing I will tell you is that it ends way different than any scene playing out in my head! You’ll need to read the book, but I promise you, you’ll giggle here the most.
This book is very well written. It’s smooth and moves along at a quick pace that leaves you eager to turn the page. Sandra does a really easy transition from Cory having a seizure to the some wonderful “flashback” stories that really fill in who Cory the dog is. It is extremely relatable. I loved this book, and through the written words, have come to love Cory and really like his mom.




 We here at the FiveSibes give this book a top dog four-out-of-four paws rating! I highly recommend this book be on your gift giving list – a great stocking stuffer, or gift for not just Epi-dog folks, but for veterinarians, vet techs, the groomer, trainer, homeopathic practitioner, all your dog loving friends, coworkers, and family, and for folks who just really enjoy reading a really good book.

To order Cory's Story, and read more about Cory and Canine Epilepsy, visit their website at www.Corysstory.com, and be sure to tell Sandra FiveSibes sent you over!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acupressure and Ice to Relieve Seizures and A #LiveGibStrong Epi-Tip

#PrayersForHarley - Dewclaw Tumor

The Rainbow Bridge Welcomes A New FurAngel - Buddy, the Christmas Husky - A Forever Symbol of Hope for Rescued Dogs

Fit For Our #FiveSibes Alpha Queen: Celebrating Harley's 14½ Birthday

Shave a Husky? Don't Do it!